Wednesday 4 November 2015

GBBO Inspired Mille Feuille







After watching the GBBO final a few weeks ago I really wanted to try out the Mille Feuille as they looked so delicious. My first attempt did not go well at all, but the second attempt went a lot better as you can see. The most important bit which I forgot the first time was to put a tray on top of the pastry whilst it baked to stop it rising too much. The consistency of the icing second time round was a lot better too, though could still have done with being a little thicker.
The recipe I followed for the pastry cream is here and for the whole things is here, it was a lot easier than it looks once you read the recipe (I made it up as I went along the first time I did it), the videos are particularly useful. I made a couple of tweaks to the recipe, mainly adding in strawberries between tiers, plus I piped the pastry cream and put two lines of cocoa icing on top rather than one. I also found it easier to cut the pastry into rectangles prior to cooking rather than baking it as one sheet and then cutting it up.
I don't really watch many cooking programmes anymore, but I wanna get back into them, it's finding the time to try out new recipes rather than just sticking to the same old ones that's the issue really. What shows would you recommend, what recipes do you wanna try?

No comments:

Post a Comment